Existentialism


Is a primarily 20th century school of thought, Existentialists defining life as meaningless outside of our own personal choices. Existentialism is just as popular now as it was during its prime in the mid-twentieth century. Its influence is highly visible in art, literature, music, and especially in film. Many well-known films have existentialist themes like individuality, alienation, and the power of nothingness. In simpler terms, existentialism is a philosophy concerned with finding self and the meaning of life through free will, choice, and personal responsibility. The belief is that people are searching to find out whom and what they are throughout life as they make choices based on their experiences, beliefs, and outlook.


This idea has I big hold on the concept I have been looking for in my teaser trailer, the idea of there being alternate ending to a person’s life depending on what that person decides to do in their life, human nature is chosen through life choice though the human ability to use their own free will and by struggling against ones nature to make decisions is a part of how our life pans out. Being rational has no grip on my character mind, the thing that happen sends her in two completely different directions. Her personal choices become unique without the necessity of an objective for truth. I liked this idea when I first stumbled across it while researching postmodernism. After researching this concept it had to be incorporated into my teaser trailer, which defiantly wasn’t a hard task as it already was a big idea in my piece, I just didn’t know what the idea was called.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you've delved deeper into the possibilities behind each choice and it's added a really interesting dimension to your production Gemma. T: definite has the word finite in it.

    ReplyDelete